- In partnership with the Maryland Environmental Trust and the Maryland Department of Transportation successfully procured easements for more than 3,000 acres in the Antietam area.
- Promoted and encouraged an agricultural land preservation program in Washington County, Maryland as a step toward scenic preservation
- Worked with local citizens and elected officials to establish a special zoning category around the Antietam Battlefield.
- Purchase of endangered properties for resale with protective easements
- Encourage and assist elected officials on all levels to endorse preservation legislation and issues.
- Successfully supported a plan for the restoration and preservation of Antietam Battlefield.
- Sponsored essay contests on historic themes in local schools
- Created an annual scholar award in honor of author and historian Joseph L. Harsh
- Contributed to purchases of property at Shepherdstown Ford and Harpers Ferry National Historical Park.